Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Paper

Sunday Paper

Here it is! Well a section of it! 

I have been working on this quilt for last three days. It took me a while to get used to the idea of foundation piecing. The pattern is quite simple yet amazingly interesting.

The key to this pattern is to start out the center of the diamond with the shape that resembles the blade of the ceiling fan. 

Thanks to Barbara Brackman who already had done the hard work of figuring it out. You can read about it in my last post.


 Option One

I used Fons and Porter's 60 degree diamond ruler which I bought from local fabric shop for the template.

Option 1. Template for Simple Spiderweb Hexagon

To make your own template, use Fons and Porter 60 degree diamond ruler.
Trace the diamond on a computer sheet. Cut the diamond.
Fold it in half at the center. (Marked as dashed line)
Open it up and  mark 1 1/2" on one edge and 3/4" on the opposite edge as shown above.
Connect those markings and draw a line.
Refold the diamond with the lines facing outside
Trace this line using a light-box or on a window. You will have a mirror image on the opposite side.
Use this template to make foundation pieces for your quilt.



To make a quilt similar to the one above, choose the back ground for the fan blades. The triangle on either side will be dark and light solids. Stay consistent with placement of dark and light fabric for the triangles to achieve the alternating look.

Stay consistent with the placement of dark and light fabrics

Hexagon block for Simple Web


*********************************************

Option Two

Option 2. Connecting Spiderweb Hexagon

Follow the instructions for drafting basic blades (background) on the diamond template. Add two more lines as shown above at an angle. I have given the measurements I used for my block.

Fold and trace so you can draw identical lines on the opposite side.


Hexagon block for the connecting spiderwebs
I decided to use assortment of background fabrics that looked like newsprint.


***************************

Option Three
Option 3. Randomly placed strings
This would be the easiest one of all. You only draft the center blades and don't have to worry about the placements of dark and light fabrics.


In this quilt, the maker started out with orange strips next to the dark centers and then followed with random placement of strings.

I used newspaper for the foundation. My very old and handy light box was quite helpful in making endless foundation pieces. Very tedious process.. I am a free piecing girl.. This was a little too much work for my taste but I am thrilled with the results.

While cutting the templates I was transported back to my childhood.  
When I was growing up, except for the Sunday paper the daily newspaper was printed in black ink.   The Sunday paper came with front page and Arts section printed in color! 
I have to name this quilt, 'The Sunday Paper'
The colors and textures of the paper I used for foundation piecing influenced the fabrics for this quilt 
I will 'read' all the 'print' and remember the story behind this quilt for a long time!
Thanks, Barbara for another great inspiration!

It's quite late as I write this post. If something doesn't make sense, feel free to send me an email with a question.

Are you ready for making your own Hexagon quilt? I chose the largest size of diamond so I can piece the hexagons with ease. I will post about the corner and edge pieces as I get closer to finishing it.


Stay tuned!



37 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tutorial! I will look forward to seeing your progress. Your quilt is beautiful so far, very old and cozy looking. Just right to curl up and read the Sunday paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just LOVE this now I hope I can find that ruler today ! The grays as the fans are wonderful, that would work with my repros as well. Thanks for the tutorial! now how will you sew it together? can it be done in rows or will it all have to be Y seams?
    I will be doing a little shopping for greys today!
    thanks Sujata!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your 3 options are really well explained, I am still hesitating between the 2 last options, but I defitinely keep the background colors 3 by 3. Mine will be with remnants of Japanese fabrics.
    Your beginning is a big reward to the tedious preparation...
    So I am with you for this hexagonal adventure!
    Katell, France

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! Sujata, I love your Sunday Paper quilt so far!! You are so clever to figure out the mystery of this optical illusion block and so kind to share all those different ways with us. Good on you for learning foundation piecing too. I think this is going to be one super special quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sujata, Thank you for the tutorial. I've earmarked this page (is earmarked the right word? - as in when one folds down the corner of a page in a book or magazine, gasp! )and have it in a special must try folder. I hope I get to play with it soon... as soon as I finish up a wedding quilt.

    Your Sunday paper is lovely- no more than that, fantastic!.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sujata ji, This was simple..! Love ur tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for such a great tutorial. I love the off kilter effect of the blades. You may lure me into the world of paper piecing with this quilt. It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find it so interesting that this pattern would pop up at this time. I'd never noticed it before, but when Molly & I were at the Tokyo show, there was a fantastic version in the antique quilt show at the venue. Because no photos were allowed, we stood and analyzed that block and she drew a little sketch of how the pattern worked. I hadn't yet gotten to play with it since I've been home, but it looks like you've deciphered it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for a great tutorial! I was wondering how these quilts were made and had no idea that it was just one template. Definitely on my list of quilts to make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool! I want to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you figured this one out. I was intrigued when I saw it on Barbara's blog, and now I have no excuse for not working on a version of my own. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your quilt so far! I'm not a paper-piecer, but this looks so great I might have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating pattern and beautifully explained. I have been thinking about doing a spiderweb quilt but I rather like this one better because of its off kilter spin. I think though, that I will try it with freezer paper rather than paper piecing. It's much quicker and you can reuse the freezer paper a few times. Thanks for showing all the different methods and samples.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun and amazing post! So much to look at learn.
    I love how these look. Your color sense is awesome as usual.
    Have you ever tried phone book pages? I've heard they work great too.
    Can't wait to see more, more, more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just a technical question : are you going to join diamonds by hand or machine ? I prefer machine sewing but "oh la la" it is not so easy !
    Katell, France

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katell,

    I will be machine piecing these diamonds. They are large enough for handling the Y seams. The best way to handle those Y seams is to stop and back stitch where seam allowance would meet. I would try drawing the seam allowance on the back of at least a couple of pieces. Once you get used to the 'space' you will be able to eyeball them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Sujata, you are right, the diamonds are big enough to be machine sewn.
    One drawback of paper piecing is that you cannot change the side of the sewing allowance but we'll make do with it! Or shall we tear off the paper before the sewing ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Katell,
    I am planning to tear the paper before I piece the blocks together. Also, you are a no-reply blogger, if you send me your email, I can respond to you directly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, you have done an awesome job of explaining this whole process. I never would have guessed that this is how that quilt is done. Fantastic! And I love your Sunday Paper quilt! Great colors, as usual. Who would have guessed that that wonkiness was paper pieced?

    Oh yes, do try the phone book pages. Very easy to work with and to tear off.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I will be succumbing to the siren (you, LeeAnn & Barbara) call of the string star.
    Love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OHHHHHHH yes!!!! LOVE!! Sooo smart
    you figuring this out and BOY, AM I GLAD!!! Your 'tut' is great and so clear!!

    ME. LIKE.

    ME. TRY.

    ReplyDelete
  22. gorgeous love it! makes a great companion to the quilt nifty is working on now. glad you're having fun with it AND that Y-seams don't make you cry (that's just me). will love this one from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a cool quilt and a great tutorial. I'm not very good with Y seams but it might be worth it to practice and be able to create a 'wonky hexagon quilt'. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous Tute Sujata, I'm a new convert to paper piecing and I adore wonky!! Thanks for all the hard work you have put into this. xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for this post that inspired me to play. I love those wonky spider webs and found it easy to make my own pattern from your instructions. Getting them together, I didn't like so much. So what I've made is just the center piece for a much larger quilt. I look forward to the fun of designing a contemporary quilt around this Victorian motif.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks to you and Barbara I now have a wonderful spider web top/flimsy all finished. I posted about it today!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you. I had seen this quilt pattern FOR SALE on another blog but thought that I could figure it out. I love string quilts and this crooked spiderweb is great!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lori,
    I am glad you found me.
    I love Barbara Brackman for finding great quilts. And I was happy to figure it out and share.

    Thank you!
    Sujata

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, fun times, me too, I'd love to play but my time is limited to a centennial quilt. I look forward to this fun tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so impressive, I think I'm going to try the third one after I get my tea towel quilt done for Victoria's site, Bumblebeans. Your quilts are just wonderful.

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for the post! The outcome of the pattern is intriguing!I hope to try this soon.
    Groetjes
    Annemieke (the Netherlands)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great tutorial and thank you so much for sharing, I like to try this too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Is it OK with you if I print this page. I have to go into town for internet connection and I can't take my sewing machine with me to this cafe? I'm interested only in making one of these quilts for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Caroline,
      It makes me happy that you are going to make this quilt. Please share it with us when you are done or working through it.

      Delete
  34. Thank you Sujata for re-inspiring me to start this quilt. Its been on my bucket list for quite sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sujata,
    I've figured it out without having to pay $14 for shipping one little ruler to Canada. I'm really struck with making one something like the one where it calls for a strip of orange next to the darker color. Such fun. This one has been on my bucket list for quite some time, thank you for re-inspiring my interest in getting it started.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!