Friday, June 19, 2015

Decisions..Decisions..Decisions

It isn't easy to take a decision with too many options available. I went through tough decision making process while working on my quilts for the book.

Can you recognize these blocks? These are the blocks from Hourglass Twist Quilt.

This layout never made it in the book because sadly, I never went through with it.

I am going to show you some rejects today.


At this point I was clueless on how they were going to be used in a quilt. Too busy? Actually I liked this setting a lot but I wanted to explore more.


I thought this layout was too plain.


By grouping them in fours I saw the movement...


I thought I should extend the movement into waves... I liked what I saw!


I thought, may be this quilt could use a border because It looked a bit simple and plain. So I arranged few blocks into borders. It still looked too plain and simple.


Add another color? White? Ralli quilters add white to their quilts.. I thought I could pretend to be a ralli quilter.

It did not do a thing for me.


How about green? And not just any green.. the richest green I could find in my stash. Yes, that did the trick. 

Something was still off a bit.


May be the corner was looking strange.


I switched the green to the outside and continued with green into the corners. It looked just right.


It was perfect with all the imperfections I can pack in the quilt along with some perfections.. I don't want anyone to think I can't sew perfect.. I just choose to mix both my worlds..That's the only way I know how to do things. It keeps my life interesting.

And that's how Hourglass Twist was finished!


I still like the first layout. Will I ever make that quilt? May be! These blocks are so fast and fun to make, making multiple quilts is quite possible.

Then again, there is so much else one can do with these blocks.

Here is a small sample. 

Irregular/organic shapes, freedom of size, movement and endless fun - All in one!


Decisions... decisions!  I don't blame you if you can not choose just one.. I would want to make all the quilts all over again too!

Did I mention I am teaching this quilt at MAQ? 

Three more weeks and only couple of spots left in each class. I am humbled by the response my book is receiving. Can not wait to meet all of you who have already signed up. If you haven't and would like to join the fun, click on the link below to sign up for a class at MAQ
http://maqonline.org/classes.html

I am also going to be at Thimble and Thread Quilt Guild in St Louis in August.

Click on the link below for details on their website.
   
14 August - Presentation - Thimble and Thread Quilt Guild of Greater St. Louis
15 August - Workshop - Thimble and Thread Quilt Guild of Greater St. Louis

Have a great weekend!









9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the process Sujata, very interesting indeed. I'm pleased you didn't go with the white the rich green is luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed seeing how this quilt grew, and the different options along the way. the rich green frames it so perfectly. Have a wonderful time teaching, it doesn't surprise me that your classss fill up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful use of half square triangles - and of colour. You are a master of colour and happiness.
    Very inspirational work. Thank you
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very interesting to see you arrive at a design decision. It is difficult. I like nearly all your options but the final solution is lovely and my favourite.
    Wish I could come over for a workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always interesting to hear about the process. Turned out great. Have fun at your workshops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you write about making decisions for this quilt. Hope you can do some additional posts
    similar to this on other quilts in your book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing the process. I always start to panic and get overwhelmed if I can't put it together immediately. I love your process and the results. I just have to slow down I guess and not worry about getting it all done quick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting to read about the behind the scenes thinking for the quilt. I've gathered a collection of purple, green, black and white for the MAQ workshop! Looking forward to meeting you and seeing the quilts in person! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your process on these quilts. I think I enjoy that as much as the finished quilt. It is always interesting to see how each quilter works and makes decisions.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Enter to Win Bernina 455 QE Kaffe Edition

Hey everyone! It has been a while! I have to share some great news! I have some great giveaway announcement!     Alex and Ricky at TheQuiltS...