Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Winds of Change

I started this quilt in October of 2018. I was hoping to gift this to my daughter Kavita as a Christmas present but as you can tell, it is still here.

This quilt has gone through many changes. It evolved from a plain and simple Kawandi quilt to what it is right now.

Winds of Change 23" X 41"
I made the background from pale fabrics because I wanted to challenge myself with light and soft shades. Well that did not work out as a quilt in itself but they worked very well as a background.



I used every shade of red plaid I had in my stash to make the "table" for the pot of flowers.


They were layered and stitched like a Kawandi quilt. 


The pot was little difficult to stitch because that grey fabric is a piece of my pants. I machine pieced the rectangle pot and then hand stitched on the background. 


I love the use of large prints for the applique. It makes it easier to have a great impact with simple and bold design. One piece applique takes out all the trouble of registration of patterns. Gwen used to say, "Folk art applique used to be simple and then they made it complicated." I love simple so here it is!

I did use the freezer paper to make sure the leaves fit the background. I also wanted an oversized, organic shapes. The only way to get that was to not worry about prints, patterns and where the branches and leaves end up on the back ground. Because it was spontaneous, it evolved throughout with every step of stitching. 

  
Last step was deciding the shape and color of the flower. My basic instinct was to go for red and teal blue solids. 


This is what I had in mind but the fabrics were too thin and somehow for the first time in my life I thought, solids are not working. They were overpowering the entire quilt design. I chose blue and red prints in the end and changed the shape of the flower. I think the flower could have been the same as here but you learn as you go. 


This was another option but somehow I decided to go with the flower. I added lots of extra stitching for the feeling of winds of change that is blowing through my life. 

The quilt measures 23" X 41". It has layers of fabric as batting. It is stitched entirely by hand other than the construction for the pot. 


I will continue adding the "wind" for a while until it all settles down. 
I am also adding this quilt as a workshop sample for future workshops and retreats.

I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend and have a great week!

Sujata


19 comments:

  1. It is simply delicious! I love everything about it. Simple, organic shapes are my favorites and you have incorporated them beautifully. A belated Happy Mother's Day to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you incorporated a piece that didn't work as originally planned. Thanks for sharing details of your flower fabric choices. It's always interesting to read how and why we make our decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely! There is so much to look at in all the different fabrics....especially in the mix of plaids and florals. Your gray pants fabric in there is special! And I think the red print peeking out from the back of the flower is perfect! Gwen would have loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great post -- so much to enjoy and think about. I love it when you share your process here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! This is a fresh wind in itself: bringing change, introducing new ideas and techniques. I love it! You are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful, unique and YOU! I love everything about it, the plaids, large prints, layered Kawandi style construction and the design. The flower is the happiest choice. I think the two vines might be you and your daughter, both growing from the same pot of love. It is good to read that you're planning to teach this style too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's wonderful, unique and YOU! I love everything about it, the plaids, large prints, layered Kawandi style construction and the design. The flower is the happiest choice. I think the two vines might be you and your daughter, both growing from the same pot of love. It is good to read that you're planning to teach this style too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for showing us your process. I learn so much from that. Winds are ok, tornadoes are not- which is what you are experiencing right now. Keep stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your imagination and sense of colour are to be admired so much, Sujata. Your boldness and sense of composition, yet such playfulness and freedom....but also following long traditions. You are one of my heroines. Take very good care of yourself sweetheart...keep creating. It is the best healer xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This style is going to grow in our interest, you explain it so well!
    Following traditions while making it new, it is exactly what I learnt thanks to Gwen's books, LeeAnn, you... Quilting, my passion, has turned different forever since then!
    Thank you and take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a superb small piece Sujata. Love your paler background, the flowers stand out beautifully, it's a true delight to see this. So pleased you shared your process with us and that you're able to still continue with a little hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful! I love the vibrancy of it. Wonderful choice in fabrics.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh, my kind of stitching, love it! :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well this turned out just a little bit wonderful! I love it! Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Greetings Sujata, Your quilt is lovely. Unique and charming, so inviting. What a great gift. Thank you for sharing your process. You are inspiring to me at times when I wonder what I am doing. Self expression is what life is about. We create as a gift to our Creator. Be Well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely piece of work! Love it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so rich and beautiful. Thank you for sharing your process and pictures with us. I love finding out about Kawandi quilts and how you make this art uniquely yours - all of your quilts are this way! I also love reading the stories you tell along with your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Something I forgot to ask; when you are layering these fabrics, do you turn the edges under or does the stitching hold them down? I think from what I have seen, the edges are not turned under and the patches are sewn onto Saris, which become their backings. I would love to try this! Sorry for the double comments!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just a lovely piece--I am hoping and praying that you are doing well...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Enter to Win Bernina 455 QE Kaffe Edition

Hey everyone! It has been a while! I have to share some great news! I have some great giveaway announcement!     Alex and Ricky at TheQuiltS...