Saturday, April 15, 2017

Juhu Beach

Small fragments of fabrics from projects here and there took me back to Mumbai. I can not believe it has been exact two months since I wrote anything here.

Juhu Beach is my latest little quilt. I had no plans of making this quilt but the scraps on the table were calling to be used in something. 

Juhu Beach 12"x12'

When I was in India in November, mom expressed her wish to go to the beach some day. It isn't that is is far from the home I grew up in but with her limited ability to walk the distance, and being able to get in and out of a vehicle, it seemed like a major task. There was no way it seemed possible.

When I went the second time around, I realized she was moving around much better. My brother and his wife and both of us decided that we needed to take mom to the beach.

It turned out to be the most memorable morning. 

You wouldn't find a single person at the Juhu beach in a bikini, instead colorful saris, dupattas and scarves float against the warm sand and grayish, blue water of the Arabian Sea.

Can you see the warmth?

We had a great time that day drinking the coconut water and people watching.

I got to watch my mom walk on the beach!

Mom and us at the Juhu beach


I am not sure if I had any memories of her walking at the beach from any of past visits.

Now I do.

I hope you all have a wonderful time with your families this weekend!
Sujata



13 comments:

  1. Sujata, this is such a lovely post, thank you for sharing💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lila. It was nice to be with her at the beach. xo

      Delete
  3. Lovely story and forever memory. And now you have the little quilt with all the colors of the day. Happy weekend to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful memory! How wonderful that you shared that day with your mom. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful story and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurie! You never know where this mind wanders while sewing and quilting. :0

      Delete
  6. During the last visit with my mom before she moved into the Alzheimer's care facility, we took her to the beach at Lake Michigan. My sister's and my favorite photo of the day was Mom standing ankle deep in the water with her pants rolled to her knees. Her smile was priceless . . . so happy that you memories of your mom at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stitches filled with memories are the very best kind! So glad you were able to make these precious memories with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful post to star my day. I love the stories behind quilts, whether big or small, and the memories are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful memory you will now have forever. Thank you so much for sharing such a precious moment with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the news, Sujata. It is good to hear from you again. I love Juhu Beach!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful....I had a lovely mother too..xo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Enter to Win Bernina 455 QE Kaffe Edition

Hey everyone! It has been a while! I have to share some great news! I have some great giveaway announcement!     Alex and Ricky at TheQuiltS...