Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Spring Kawandi 2023

 

Seems like it has been a slow start to this year when it comes to creating new works. I have hardly worked in the studio lately. It has been months since I finished my last quilt. Yet, the way time is passing by, something tells me I am extremely busy. I better sit down and really think about where it really goes. 

Here is the last Kawandi I finished early this year. This one started out as wanting to take a break from my usual palette of colors and needing to work with texture. The choices of fabrics were random because I always want to achieve that scrappy feeling in my quilt. I do have lots of fabric in my stash and I could spend hours curating fabrics for a new quilt. Sadly, most of the time would go into pulling out fabrics and then refolding and putting them back again. 

Who wants to do that? 

So I pulled whatever was in front of me and got it going. Initially I thought I was going to mix solids and prints.  

 

 

But once I started stitching the patches on top, creating contrast with prints alone made more sense. So I added small prints, large prints and everything in between. Some of the fabrics were really easy to stitch through and some were quite thick as I was using shirts and dresses from the goodwill store just because I like some of those prints. After all these years of quilting, I still see some fabrics show up in multiple quilts and I can't seem to get rid of them. I must really love them!


 

Here is the shirt from the Goodwill store. I loved that print and wanted to make sure it got perfect spot in the quilt.



 

How about that hot pink? That was a vintage mini dress I picked up in San Francisco Goodwill store. I love the way it pops off of all other prints.

 



 

I am not sure If I am completely sold on a Kawandi with all prints. I spend so much time stitching on them but because of all the prints, the stitching gets lost.


The reality is, no matter what I plan before starting a Kawandi, it really doesn't follow the direction I want to give it. It has mind of its own. I just put one scrap next to the previous one. Is it mindless sewing? I don't think so. If anything, it is pretty mindful. I am engaged in making decisions, enjoy every stitch and the way it evolves. 

When it comes to those last stitches in the center, game time is on! I better be able to stuff all of that quilt in my left hand so I can stitch with the right. It somehow gets done. The last stitch is taken and for the first time I really can see it in its full glory. 

A fascinating process that teaching me so many lessons of life itself. Being in the moment is the biggest one of them all. This one though, I think it told me to take a break from flowers for a while. 

Sujata
 

5 comments:

  1. I love how your little quilt turned out. The colors, bright and cheerful, just engage each other with sweetness and energy. The picture of you sewing with this lovely quilt in the foreground, is wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your update on stitching/projects/life. Your Kawandi is gorgeous.
    And your family photo in your previous post is wonderful, you are blessed.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work! the quilts are so alive and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog and am in love with this quilt! How inspiring! Do you hand stitch your pieces together? The quilting looks like big-stitch quilting. Do you have any on line tutorials? I am so happy that I found this blog. Thank you for sharing your work. You have an amazing gift!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Enter to Win Bernina 455 QE Kaffe Edition

Hey everyone! It has been a while! I have to share some great news! I have some great giveaway announcement!     Alex and Ricky at TheQuiltS...