Wednesday, February 20, 2019

The Show

I had to put the uandu quilt to the side for a short while. A lot is going on right now and there are only so many hours in the day.

I am going to be the featured artist at PVQA annual quilt show this weekend. Past couple of weeks I have been busy sewing hanging sleeves on my quilts that has never been hung before. Those are some very large quilts so you can imagine the time it has taken to make them show ready.

Today I am grouping them as they will hang in the show to make it easier on the the volunteers who are working there.

It is even nice to see them hanging side by side in my house on this bedroom where light is always bright.



I also have some Ralli and Siddi quilts from India made with old saris and other scraps. Most of the quilts I have are two sided quilts as they are when you make do. It was hard to decide on which side to attach the sleeves on. If they were visible from both side, I would have taken a different approach but only one side is going to be seen. I thought I would post here both side of this particular quilt so you can all see the quilt.



I am calling this the front side since the other side ended up with a sleeve.


Wouldn't you agree the sleeve looks really tacky? I am going to remove it as soon as I get it back. This quilt weighs a lot with old clothes being used as "batting". I appreciate the old Indian ways of quilting and curious to use thinner fabric layers as batting in my next few quilts.

Interesting observation of the day is that quilts in the first picture were made many moons ago. I bought this Siddi quilt last year. To see them all side by side in this blog post confirms my thoughts on how our mind works as artist. I can never take India out of my head. Although, it has been 33 years of living in the United States, I drift very easily between minimalism and maximal-ism when it comes to quilting and designing. One thing remains constant is the use of colors and textures of India in my quilts.

Here are the close up pictures of Siddi Quilt.





Organic EVERYTHING!

If you are local, please stop by and say hello. The lecture is at 2:00 PM. Quilts will be hanging in two different buildings.

Here is the link to the show.
https://pvqa.org/2019-pvqa-quilt-show/

Hope to see you there!





  

12 comments:

  1. Good luck with your show! Your quilts are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do hope you will take lots of photos and post them. I would love to see all your fabulous colorful quilts in one place. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too understand that your background really influences your tastes in quilts. All your quilts are beautiful. I wish I lived closer so I could come see the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the show! I know you will have a great time Love the quilt show on today's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO happy for you to have your quilts hanging in this show -- and I'm sorry that it is so far away and I can't come see it in person. BEST WISHES for a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing display of your quilts and what a joy to see the Siddi quilt. You made the comment that you could never take India out of your head - good! I have bought a number of books about India purely because of the colour - even cookbooks showing the spices in the markets, the beautiful saris, the vibrancy of the turbans. Long may you use the colours and textures of India in your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is so beautifully colourful and full of energy and life. I wish that I could be there to hear you speak and to see the wonderful quilts. the Siddi quilt that you have shown in this post is very inspiring - thank you for showing both sides. I would have a hard time deciding on just one side of that piece. Love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Sujata! How I wish I could experience seeing all of your quilts in one show!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can’t wait to see pix of the exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to see the show too...North Carolina is a bit too far. Oh, well...I am happy with this post..Enjoy the show..dear artist friend

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you're enjoying the show Sujata. Your quilts look glorious, so full of colour.and thank you for sharing the photo of the Siddi quilt with us. Please never take India out of your head and continue using the colours and textures from your wonderful home country.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you got to fully enjoy the show with all of your Bay Area friends and family! Those Siddhi quilts are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Enter to Win Bernina 455 QE Kaffe Edition

Hey everyone! It has been a while! I have to share some great news! I have some great giveaway announcement!     Alex and Ricky at TheQuiltS...