Thursday, May 28, 2015

a visit with Gwen Marston

It was a totally unexpected but it happend!

My visit to Ithaca at Tompkins County Quilters was full of happy co-incidences. I was approached by Laurie Buck, a member at the guild and also a follower of this blog. With my new mantra of saying yes to whatever life brings has got me to more places than I ever imagined. Accepting to speak and teach at the guild was a start of many new friendships.

Before the official release of the book in November 2014; as soon as the first box of complimentary copies of my books arrived, I sent a copy to Gwen Marston to share my enthusiasm. Gwen was evenly excited about my happiness and she let me know via email and a snail mail. I was over the moon with her response.

In a little time since then, Gwen and I have corresponded many times via emails. Our common topics of conversations have ranged from quilts of India, visit to my native country as well as our use of inspirations from antique quilts in our modern quilts. Knowing that I have her blessings for everything I believe when it comes to quilting, means a great deal to me. Our meeting in Ithaca was a true ''meant to be'' event. She happened to be in Ithaca during my visit and Laurie made it all possible for me and Gwen to spend an entire day together.

It was an honor sharing my book, quilts and exchange ideas. We talked quilts and more quilts over the coffee, cookies and delicious lunch prepared by Laurie. Ithaca has always had a special place in my heart for all these 29 years for being my first home, but this visit was another important mark in my journey.



I will never forget those moments when we finished each others sentences while speaking the same language.


Picture perfect moments were captured by gracious and sweet Laurie Buck.


Couple of years back, Laurie was in a workshop with Gwen for her Small Studies quilts based on her book, 37 SHETCHES.

Laurie's small study


Gwen and I went on a virtual visit to India through my slide show.


Sitting at a kitchen table with Gwen, I showed her my ways of working with free-form blocks.


I had to share the Organized Chaos quilt with her.


We could have gone on talking but it was time to pack away the quilts and drive back home.


Gwen had a lot to say about my book and our ways of quilting. I am keeping it all in my head for now.. I loved meeting my favorite improv quilter of our time and show her the fire she started in me.

On my way back from Ithaca, I was so high from our visit, I am not sure if it was me or the car that was floating.. My visit through the scenic routes of Tompkins County, NY brought more than natural beauty to me.

It made me believe in endless possibilities.

Laurie, You were a huge part of this day. Thank you for making this memorable experience possible.   Your studio is an amazing and inspiring space, perfect for quilt retreats. 

Gwen, Thank you for being who you are. Since we met, you have been a constant happy energy in my head from the time I wake up to the time I start stitching and all those moments in between.


Feeling grateful,
Sujata
 

35 comments:

  1. How wonderful, Sujata! I know this is a dream come true for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Sujata, now you know how I felt after meeting you and learning from you in Ithaca! There are lots of quilters, but just a few bright shining inspirational people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magical! I bet you are still on Cloud 9

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful coincidence and experience! Re: Lee Ann's comment, this would be a dream come true for many of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, lucky YOU! The first time I ever saw Gwen on TV it changed my quilting path forever. I have had the honor of meeting her, but no classes or the kind of quality time together that you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so terrific, what a meeting of the minds, hearts, and hands!
    And Ithaca must be so lovely right now too... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a magical day!
    You are both bright lights for the world and we love to see you shine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome day you had! Gwen is the best! How wonderful that you got to spend such a wonderful time with her. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic . . . SO very, very happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a thrill! I like your mantra -- oh, the places you'll go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great opportunity! I love Gwen's books and how she approaches quilt making-it's so freeing. How fortunate you were to be able to talk/share quilts with her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful day you had. Being with Gwen is so magical and special. And, some of that magic is now yours! No wonder you are on cloud 9!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it was my privilege to be part of this day - spending more time with Sujata and reconnecting with Gwen. at times, I felt like a wedding photographer, capturing special moments. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh to be a fly on the wall, listening to two quilt geniuses talking quilts, fabric, design, colour. What a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was a wonderful time indeed. Those special times which continue to energise and inspire us are wonderful highlights in life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How very, very special for you both. What a day and I bet you both lit the fire in each other's creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's so wonderful that you spent a day with Gwen. She's such a beautiful, generous of spirit person.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You must still be walking on cloud 9 Sujata, it must have been so lovely spending the day with Gwen, talking about quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful treat for you spending time with Gwen Marston - something to treasure always!

    ReplyDelete
  20. how absolutely wonderful! isn't Gwen the Best - and I mean really the Best?
    so nice to have an opportunity to visit with her.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, wow, wow! How exciting and what a wonderful and incredible experience! So happy for you, Sujatah! It must have felt like such a full circle moment... sharing your book and quilts with the one person who has been so inspirational and influential in many of our quilting journeys. No wonder you felt like you were floating! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sujata, I am so happy for you!!! I like this post and I am reading it again and again.Thank you for sharing those nice moments with us who are living far away on the other side of the sea... Have a lovely day! Anneli

    ReplyDelete
  23. woohoo, fantastic!!!! Gwen is such a creative, lovely, encouraging person.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dreams do come true! So glad you had this day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The photos tell a wonderful story: two kindred spirits, sharing their passion. So happy for both of you to spend the time together. Each of you has inspired many quilters, including me.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So is life, you were bound to meet her, so is LeeAnn, you are the great followers of the opened way by Gwen Marston.

    ReplyDelete
  27. How wonderful Sujata! I am very happy for you. Do you see me smiling to you now? You are such a shining lady.
    Have a shining weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful experience Sujata! So happy you were able to share with Gwen. Congratulations and hugs. June

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really nice! Great photos and writing about your day with Gwen. Now we happily share in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a dream! So so happy for you. One day I hope to write such a post except my dream day would be spent with Gwen Marston AND you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gwen Marston has been a huge influence on me as well. I read her first book - and copied a quote about a tree and still have it on my studio wall. You and your work are sure to be as important to another generation of quilt makers. So pleased for both of you that you had such a nice visit. x

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Enter to Win Bernina 455 QE Kaffe Edition

Hey everyone! It has been a while! I have to share some great news! I have some great giveaway announcement!     Alex and Ricky at TheQuiltS...