Tuesday, October 23, 2018

it all adds up

It was little over a year ago when I wrote this post about the good news and the bad news.. My daughter was moving to the bay area and my husband had a new job is San Diego. They both started their new job on the 30th of October. What a year it has been since then!

I made this quilt soon after we moved to San Francisco in 2015. I am not sure if I ever shared this story but it is a good reminder of how life's events make up the life itself and it is never is a one note song.

Back in Fall of 2015 soon after we moved, I thought I could do without the sewing machine for a while. I thought there will be plenty to explore in the city while we looked for our new home in the suburbs. I soon realized that I could not do without the sewing machine. I borrowed my friend's machine to see what I could do. There was a Good will store near by, which became my fabric source. I walked to the store and bought myself some fabric.

Not having any rotary cutting supplies was a non-issue. My friend had given me a kitchen scissors and that was plenty. I was set. I started tearing the strips and made simple blocks without any measurements. They all turned out to be different size. 



With no design wall, our bed became the place to lay out the blocks. It worked just fine! I first arranged together all the blocks that were roughly similar in size. If they were slightly small I added the strips. Chopping them up was not an option. I really wanted to use up all the fabric and make as large of the quilt I could.


Once all the large blocks were arranged and sewn up, I had to fill up the space. There were just enough scraps and strings left to piece few smaller blocks.


The clothes I bought were not all cotton and I am glad that was the case. My focus was on buying prints that were cheerful. The apartment was grey and dull, too modern for my taste, I needed to focus on colors and prints that would make me happy for the time being.


I used every bit of leftover fabric to sew a skinny border all around the quilt top. I figured some day will turn this quilt into a summer quilt and the time has come!

It is time to stitch the next chapter of our lives into this quilt.

I am thrilled to say my husband starts a new job in the bay area next week and coming home in couple of days. 

There have been many ups and down in last couple of years with him loosing his original job, searching for a new one and subsequently moving away from home. We both had decided to hang tight for a year and see how that job would go before moving permanently to San Diego. We all know, nothing is permanent in life but it has been challenging to say the least.

My days and life's events have been as different as these blocks. Life's experiences - good, bad and ugly - they all add up. I've always believed I am here because of the roads I  have traveled and these past few years are no exceptions.

He comes home in two days!

I am happy to be here, waiting.  
 

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful memory quilt--good news for you all...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an awesome quilt! Loved reading about the story of you making it. All the best to your next chapter in life! You are, as always, an inspiration to all of us.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed, our life is made of ALL our experiences, and what a good life it is! I love this story, and mostly, how to tell it. Cheers to your husband’s homecoming, and more happy quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very resilient. I am not sure I could have done what you did. Quilts really are the fabric of our lives. Congratulations to your husband on his new job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, we all take life as it comes and sometimes it comes in like a tornado! Happy to hear he will be back and things will hopefully settle down for you. Happy quilting in your "happy place".

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you will all be together again soon! Now you can proceed with the plans for the expanded sewing area and kitchen in your home - and easily visit your children. Happy for you. Hope to see you again soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post!! For the quilt top, for the story, and for learning that your future is looking more settled (at least fir now). So mant truths in your words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember that top. Now it's a welcoming banner for a return to your beloved home. I'm so glad DH is home with you. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Enter to Win Bernina 455 QE Kaffe Edition

Hey everyone! It has been a while! I have to share some great news! I have some great giveaway announcement!     Alex and Ricky at TheQuiltS...