Thursday, February 9, 2012

A group challenge

I am participating in a year long 12x12 challenge with my friends. We decided to make up our own challenge and revealed our first quilt of the year yesterday.

This is my quilt!

Snow


Each month I will be making a house quilt from recycled old clothes and stitch old and new memories in it.

Story behind this quilt..

The day after a snow storm in January...
Driving on the back roads of Lancaster...
Celebrating one of our relatives' 82nd birthday...
and thinking of the Kite festival in India...

How much can a small quilt pack?
Clearly, a lot for me!

An elephant for Terry

We celebrated Terry's birthday yesterday. Each of us made a block for her to mark the events of her 60th year. Check out what Cheryl made from the blocks.

If this elephant could speak, it would tell you about...
A grandchild's arrival, funny stories of making of a stuffed elephant for the baby and a very memorable trip to India.

It was a lot of fun to surprise her with our little gift.
  I did some baking today! Long time ago I had promised a blogger friend that I would post the recipe and never got around it. So here it is! My family loves these cookies.

Brazilian Coffee Cookies

Here is the recipe from Betty Crocker cook book

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 Tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsp powdered instant coffee
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder

Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
Mix first six ingredients in a medium bowl.
Stir in remaining ingredients.
shape the dough into one inch balls.
Place them two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Flatten to 1/8 inch thickness with the fork dipped in sugar.
Bake for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown.

About 3 dozen Cookies.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. I'm trying those cookies this morning!! Go well! Love from South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely mini! The house looks so cold, there's a very wintery feeling about it. Look forward to see more quilts from shirts, Sujata. I have a few shirts myself, stashed away. Thank you for the inspiration.
    And the gift for your friend is such a cool collection!

    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I Love this house quilt, what a fun challenge. The quilt has such a peaceful feel to it...
    love the story behind it.

    oh my goodness great elephant block!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me smile this morning. We are really making new memories. Weds was a very good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,Sujata.

    What lovely quilts to see!
    Your first quilt expresses a warm house celebrating a birthday with a party in the snowy day. The elephant is very cute, yes, it looks like it is about to speak to me something!

    With smile, Tomoko

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your elephant!! It's embellished perfectly!
    What a great b-day book of quilty love.

    Your house challenge block is wonderful. I love your idea of using old clothes and making new things with them. hooray for you friend!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your small quilt! The idea of taking old fabrics and making something new with them is what quilting is based on. Wonderful!!
    Have a great weekend,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. your little quilt is lovely - so soft and snowy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful, peaceful little quilt. It really gives the feel of the snow on that day your describe. Lovely little elephant too. I did go over and see the book. What fun a perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought a 12 x 12 book. I love the whole concept. Great idea to have organised with friends. The recycling of clothes and memories makes it even more special.
    Thanks for the cookie recipe. Might be time to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilts. Love the texture of the house and I adore elephants. Both are just wonderful.


    ~Faith
    Airy Nothing

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Enter to Win Bernina 455 QE Kaffe Edition

Hey everyone! It has been a while! I have to share some great news! I have some great giveaway announcement!     Alex and Ricky at TheQuiltS...