Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mystery Solved!

Spiderweb Hexagon
A scrappy Hexagon Spiderweb
 
Two weeks ago quilt historian and author, Barbara Brackman posted about Victorian puzzle of spiderweb hexagon. I can't tell you how excited I was to see this quilt. As much as I enjoy making improv quilts, my inspirations always come from old and antique quilts. Needless to say, I got sucked into this puzzle like none before! 

It was the morning of my class in Philadelphia but I was so excited about this pattern that I had to solve the mystery right away. Barbara had already figured out the centers of the block. I did the rest!

Although the mystery was solved and I thought I would make a small sample before I post about this quilt. Sadly, I realized this morning that I am not cut out for foundation piecing.
I have never attempted to make a quilt using paper foundation.

For a girl who loves to just get her fabrics out and start cutting, or pick up the scraps and piecing, this method is a LOT OF WORK! Those of you who have worked with foundations piecing, this should be a piece of cake!

But since I figured out the pattern, Barbara and I thought it would be fun to start a quilt along, I am going to learn how to foundation piece and make this quilt.

Betsey Tellford Goodwin's Rocky Mountain Quilts
Are you interested in making this quilt?

Leave a comment and let me know if you are.

If there is enough interest, I will post on how to draft this block. You will have to figure out how to piece the hexagons.

Visit Barbara Brackman's Material Culture to learn more about these quilts and her process on the quilt she made!

16 comments:

  1. I would love to learn how to make this quilt! It is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so interested in seeing this quilt is made. I'm not whether I'll quilt along because I have other things I should be finishing but I might be tempted because it is such a great pattern. The trick with foundation piecing is sewing upside down and back to front. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved this quilt. I may do it someday but have many on the go now. I will still keep my eye open for what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes with this. I will look forward to seeing your rendition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara's post rose my interest about this pattern too! Yesterday I began to think over my version... I'd like to join you! I have already made a template on a triangle-grid.
    Katell, France

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow I love this quilt, , yes I may just have to make one too!
    can't wait to see how you decided to piece the hexagons!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good mystery and can't wait for the solution to be revealed!
    I'd love to make this, but have too many things going on and UFOs to count. It will be fun to watch and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to learn to make this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would LOVE to learn! These quilts are GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I can clearly see the diamond shapes in the Kentucky picture, but to get them to line up the spiderwebs seems difficult. Yes, I would love to learn how this is done.

    ~Faith
    Airy Nothing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for showing your interest in making this quilt with me.

    Some of you are a no-reply blogger so I thought I would leave a comment here. I will be posting the blocks and pattern on Monday. Make sure to check back in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can completely see the draw of this pattern - that third one down is fabulous. I'd want to handpiece the diamonds together - stinking Y-seams. I know they don't scare you though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As usual you come up with something amazing! Your ideas are endless. I cannot do this now but maybe down the road, I love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,just came across your blog - I lóve this kind of work!! Thanks for the patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the antique feel that I realize from my stash, I'm in, I'm following you after seeing this. I would love to participate without too many time commitments.
    Love it, thanks for sharing. I'm not much for paper piecing, but I've got lots of interesting scraps.I'm up for learning more about paper piecing.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Enter to Win Bernina 455 QE Kaffe Edition

Hey everyone! It has been a while! I have to share some great news! I have some great giveaway announcement!     Alex and Ricky at TheQuiltS...